When you plan a vacation, you probably think about booking a flight, a hotel, and maybe renting a car. While you are in the process of organizing your flights and stays, it is a smart idea to consider another important aspect of the vacation- protecting your trip with travel insurance. Purchasing travel insurance is an inexpensive investment that can provide financial protection in case of trip cancellations, trip delays, unexpected medical expenses, and personal losses while traveling.
When should you buy trip cancellation insurance?
Are you wondering when you should buy travel insurance? The simple answer is as soon as you make the first deposit for your trip. Typically, you will pay for your flight tickets and accommodation at least a month or two weeks prior to your vacation. Hence, you can buy coverage 15 days (about 2 weeks) before you start your journey.
Trip cancellation insurance, also known as travel insurance, ideally covers non-refundable costs for trip cancellations, trip delays, trip interruptions, baggage loss and theft, personal effects, unexpected medical expenses, and more. But figuring out the type of coverage you need and how much you need requires thoughtful consideration because not all plans offer the same coverage. Even if you do not buy an insurance plan by 15 days (about 2 weeks), you will still be able to buy coverage. The coverage will cost a little more.
Though you can buy travel insurance before you book your flight, it is better to wait until after you book your plane tickets or book your stays. This way, you will know how much the trip costs so it can cover ticket prices and hotels in case of trip cancellations. The more information you have about your trip and your estimated expenses, the easier it will be to buy coverage that best suits your needs.
Trip cancellation insurance can be brought any time before you start the trip. It is always recommended to buy coverage as soon as you make your first trip deposit. Moreover, it serves you some time to study the plan’s document and understand its schedule of benefits. Buying a policy after you have started your trip will not be helpful; rather, you cannot buy a trip cancellation policy after your departure.
Why do you need coverage?
Before you buy a plan, you must understand why you need it in the first place. You need trip cancellation insurance to protect yourself financially in case you cancel or interrupt your trip due to unforeseen events. Here are some reasons why you may need trip cancellation insurance:
- Illness or injury: If you or a traveling companion become ill or injured before or during your trip, trip cancellation insurance can provide coverage for cancellation or interruption costs.
- Family emergency: If a family member becomes seriously ill, injured, or passes away before or during your trip, trip cancellation insurance can provide coverage for cancellation costs.
- Natural disasters: If a natural disaster occurs at your travel destination or at home, causing flight cancellations or closing hotels, trip cancellation insurance can help you in such unforeseen events.
- Work obligations: If your job requirements change and you are no longer able to take time off for your trip, trip cancellation insurance can help you in recovering trip costs.
- Financial reasons: If you experience a monetary loss or unforeseen expense, such as a job loss or unexpected home repair, and need to cancel your trip, trip cancellation insurance can provide coverage for cancellation or interruption costs.
It is important to carefully review the policy details to understand the coverage limits and exclusions of the insurance plan you choose.
Travel insurance is designed to protect a traveler from certain unforeseeable events. Accidents and mishaps are unpredictable, so carrying a travel insurance plan is the safest option. Buy a trip cancellation policy as early as possible, making your journey smoother and more comfortable. Visitor Guard® has several trip cancellation insurance plans catered to various needs of travelers. You can also opt for Cancel for Any Reason upgrade by paying an extra premium.
If you are looking for a suitable travel insurance plan, do not hesitate to contact us. You are one click away from making a call and buying a plan.