Types of International Student Health Insurance in the USA

Types of International Student Health Insurance in the USA


International Student Health Insurance provides medical coverage for students studying away from their home country. If you are traveling to the U.S. to study or leaving the U.S. to study abroad, international student health insurance will ensure that you are covered. International student health insurance requirements vary based on the student’s status — J1 visa. F1 Visa or OPT (Optional Practical Training).   

F1 visa  

F1 visas are intended for full-time international students and their dependents. If you plan to come to the US to attend school or university, you are likely to receive an F1 visa. If you are traveling with a spouse or child as dependents, they would typically get an F2 visa. The US State Department does not include any specific F visa insurance requirements, but your school will mostly require proof of coverage from you before you can enroll for classes.  

Nriol.net has different plans covering F1 student health insurance like Student Secure, and plans covering F2 insurance like Atlas Travel Insurance, Patriot Travel. Call us to know more.  

J1 visa  

J1 visas are designed for those coming to the US to participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs. These are typically short-term and can be for about 18 months duration. The students/scholars on J1 and J2 visas have very specific insurance requirements in order to stay in compliance.  

  • A minimum of $100,000 in medical benefits per accident or illness  
  • Repatriation coverage of $25,000  
  • Expenses associated with the exchange visitor’s medical evacuation to his home country of $50,000  
  • Deductible up to $500 per accident or illness  
  •  Plan underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of A-, or above, or an Insurance Solvency International Ltd. (ISI) rating of A-I or above, or a Standard and Poor’s Claims Paying Ability rating of A- or above, or a Weiss Research Inc. rating of B+ or above.  

Fortunately,  Patriot Exchange Student Insurance offers plans that meet the above requirements. Let us know if you need suggestions for the best option of J1 visa health insurance.  


OPT stands for Optional Practical Training. International students in the US with the optional practical training status under an F1 visa are privileged to work for 12 months after completing their degree program to expand their skill set and practical knowledge.   

Students pursuing STEM educational degrees are provided this status. These students should purchase medical insurance plans for OPT students in order to avoid any unforeseen accidents that might take place in an unknown country.  

Students on OPT will typically not be eligible for the school’s insurance plan. Your employer may not offer international student health insurance, or you may simply need coverage until you find a permanent position.  

Either way, we can offer Atlas America, and Patriot America Plus plans that will cover you for the entire period you need. Give us a call, and we can help you choose the best plan.  

Evacuation insurance   

If you travel in a remote area with limited medical facilities, an emergency medical evacuation can ensure that you can seek medical help. Evacuation Insurance helps those who need to be evacuated. In addition, this will cover the cost of transportation by air to the nearest qualified medical facility. This benefit is generally part of international student health insurance.   

Under a J1 visa, this is a requirement. If you get insurance from the University, it may or may not include coverage for evacuation, and you will have to buy a plan for evacuation coverage to meet the J visa requirement.  

Nriol is the best place to purchase your evacuation insurance. Compare and choose the perfect plan for yourself. Contact us for more details.  

Final Thoughts   

International students can compare their insurance plans to the most suitable one that meets their specific needs. You can get student health insurance any time after setting foot in the United States or even before you travel. Depending on the policy, your coverage can start as soon as the next day after purchase.    

Please know we are here to assist you in making a well-informed decision to get international student insurance! Feel free to reach out to us by email or phone at any time.