Can one transfer a J-1 visa sponsor?

If you wish to transfer from one J-1 sponsor to another, you must seek clearance from the original program sponsor. Once your program sponsor has approved or signed your new DS-2019 and returned it to the new sponsor, you are then considered under the sponsorship of the new program. The scholar may not take up employment with the new program until the transfer process has been successfully completed. The transfer of J-1 program sponsor must be completed prior to the individual’s termination from the previous J-1 program and before the current DS-2019 form expires. Time spent in a previous program(s) prior to the transfer will be counted toward the three-year maximum.