After your deductible is met, co-insurance is the percentage of the covered medical expenses that you, the insured person, must pay.

For instance, if your health plan has an 80/20 co-insurance rate, your insurance plan pays for 80% of your eligible medical expenses and you are responsible for the remaining 20%.